Here at #thesavageway we wanted to take a moment to reflect on the awesome things that the Queen City has done/offered this year, things that have affected our lives and frankly things that we have just captured our hearts.
6 Things We Discovered about Charlotte in 2013
(In no particular order):
1. Basketball is Back: The Charlotte Hornets are coming home! The NBA announced that at the turn of the season, after 9 years, the Charlotte Bobcats will officially change back to the Charlotte Hornets. It is great seeing our city come together and it will be interesting to see the change in marketing and promotion! #BuzzCity
2. Food Truck Friday: Many nights were spent under the sunset of a perfect Carolina sky with a plethora of yummy food options at Food Truck Friday. Fan favorites include the likes of Papi Queso, Tin Kitchen & Herban Legend (to name a few); all while enjoying a craft beer from Common Market . Southend is booming and we will continue to support this community driven event!
3. Farmers Markets: #thesavageway team agreed to do the Whole 30 Paleo Challenge along with other gym-mates from CrossFit 704 this past fall. And yes, challenge is a great word for it – click here for more information. When one goes Paleo, it is imperative to have fresh, healthy options – enter Farmers Markets. We fell in love with Atherton Market, Community Supported Agriculture from Know Your Farms and the Charlotte Regional Farmers Market. Thank you Charlotte farmers for giving us such great options. Support local whenever possible, it really does make a difference.
4. Kombucha: #thesavageway often is asked why we drink Kombucha? Two words – Stupid Good! Seriously, where has this been all of our lives? Our favorite is the local brewery Lenny Boy. Looking for #thesavageway Christmas gift ideas – a growler or two from this health haven would look perfect under the tree – just saying!
**We really love Kombucha for the health benefits – especially the probiotics. Check out this link for more information or just ask the guys at Lenny Boy.
5. NoDa Brewing CAN get even Cooler: #thesavageway has a soft spot for the NoDa Brewing Company – be it the stellar beer, creative staff or overall branding, we are both big supporters of the Suzie & Todd crew down the street. 2013 brought about big things for our local favorite with the announcement that they would begin canning Hop Drop and Roll and Jam Session! As NoDa neighbors we were stoked, as marketers we were impressed and as friends we were proud! Click here for more information. #ShowYourCans
6. Music: As you may know, #thesavageway is big into music, check out this Christmas playlist. We were able to hone in that musical obsession throughout Charlotte in 2013. The Queen City saw everything from Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, Matrimony Band to Drake and the AWOL Festival . There is not a night in the city where there is not some form of live music going on: some of our favorite venues include The Evening Muse , The Chop Shop, Neighborhood Theatre , The Double Door Inn . Oh and while not a Charlotte specific discovery, how could the year in music be summarized without a shout out to the best use of social media EVER to release an album – Beyonce you are truly the QueenBey!
As Charlotte continues to grow, we look forward to making more discoveries and finding new obsessions. So here’s to 2014 and the many talented people and amazing small businesses out there, be sure to support them! Stay positive and remember to be kind – always.
Torrie & Paula
This is Part 1 in a 5 Part Series diving into Clean Graffiti in the Queen City. Clean Graffiti is a service that #thesavageway has been honing in on for some time now. Months of research, technique testing and market research led to the clean advertising method that is now in practice across Charlotte. With several clients in the books, it is time to reflect on the practice. This piece is about the longevity of Clean Graffiti.
Back up to October 2012, a new local brewpub geared towards the foodie was slated to open in the Historic Arts District of NoDa : Heist Brewery . The Heist team had been working tirelessly to open their doors since 2011. #thesavageway was already contracted as the marketing team to help get the brewery off the ground, running its Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, PR and Media Relations. The buzz could be heard around the city and there was a certain energy in the air. When grand opening week FINALLY arrived, it seemed like a natural fit to incorporate this new idea of Clean Graffiti.
Clean Graffiti is an eco-friendly and green form of advertising. These branded, positive messages are strategically placed on dirty sidewalks and a clean message remains.
#thesavageway worked with Heist owner Kurt Hogan on where the placement of the messages would be; think directional signage leading to the new brewery, branded images throughout neighborhood streets and awareness in other neighborhoods.
Heist Brewery Clean Graffiti 2012
Heist Brewery Clean Graffiti 2013 (one year old)
Today is December 9, 2013. These messages were laid down over one year and 2 months ago. We will say that again – over 425 days ago! The longevity that these messages have is incredible. Not every spot will remain this long, average length is anywhere between 6 weeks and 8 months, it just depends on the environmental elements and foot traffic. From an advertising perspective, the average length of a newspaper ad or magazine ad is one week, one month at best. Clean Graffiti is an eco-friendly alternative that is clean, good for the environment and extremely cost effective in a conscientious way. It’s Just Water.
So as you are walking around the streets of NoDa this holiday season, keep an eye out for these Clean Graffiti messages – who knows, they may lead you to great beer!
Turkey Day (Or Tofurky Day for some) is finally upon us! Thanksgiving is one of our favorite holidays here at #thesavageway; not because it means plenty of dinners and nostalgic food, but for the simple fact that everyone stops and takes a moment to recognize how truly blessed we are in this world. Here are a few of the things that we are thankful for:
#thesavageway is a small start-up business in the booming city of Charlotte, NC. We started this business journey because we wanted to do something positive with our lives. We wanted to make a change. However, there is no way that we could be doing what we are doing if it weren’t for the courage and bravery of our Soldiers. Thank you to those men and women who have risked their lives protecting the freedoms that we get to enjoy on a daily basis. Thank you for making our dream a possibility.
This is the part of our lives that gets us through each and every day. Family is that part that we can always rely on when we are struggling; the part that would not let us say no to our dreams. To the families that have always stood behind our choices and gave advice when we did (or did not think) we needed it, Thank you!
To our dear friends (old and new) and the Clients that have become great friends, thank you for choosing to have us in your lives. They say you are the company that you keep and we are certainly blessed if we are a fraction the people that you all are. Cheers to each of you!
“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.”
#thesavageway, Torrie and Paula began their business journey over a year ago and one thing was crystal clear from the start… music was in their souls. As a tribute to the ever evolving love of good tunes, here are some company favorites for Christmas.
“It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” -Ghandi
We are thankful that we are healthy, young adults. So many people in the world are not able to say those few simple words; we know it and we are very appreciative of it. We are thankful that we get to wake up everyday, go work out and push our bodies. We are thankful that we are able to make healthy meals that nourish our souls. We will always be thankful for our healthy minds. We appreciate what we have been given and hope to show gratitude everyday for our blessings. We are very, very thankful over here at #thesavageway. We hope to show our gratitude each and every day, not just during the holidays! Sincerest gratitude to each of you.
– Torrie & Paula
NoDa : Charlotte, NC’s Historic Arts District is a neighborhood full of limitless creativity found in the minds of local artists, fine culinary experiences, and unique microbreweries. NoDa is a destination in the Queen City and this hub of originality needed a face; a way for people to see the life that is the heart of this community. Enter Instagram.
Screenshot of @NoDaCLT’s Instagram
When #thesavageway was hired on as the local event promotion team behind the annual neighborhood fundraiser event, NoDaWEEN, it became clear that photo-driven Instagram was needed to bring the event and the neighborhood to life. Little did we expect for this social outlet to literally take off.
@NoDaCLT, the Official Instagram of the NoDa Neighborhood, was created in the beginning of August 2013 when #thesavageway was brought on to brand manage. Within 3 months, the followers grew from 0 to 1,500+ followers. Talk about Insta-neighborhood love!
By correlating with the existing NoDa social media portals and strategically creating content, the account began to form. Pictures were focused on the heart and soul of the neighborhood; those familiar faces and places that make 36th and North Davidson alive.
@NoDaCLT Instagram Neighborhood Examples
Branded images for the event NoDaWEEN also were incorporated.
@NoDaCLT NoDaWEEN Instagram post examples
This account began with a need for online representation for a client’s event; however it grew into something much more substantial than that. Social media is people-driven and at the end of the day we all want to be able to relate to the places and things that we love. People love NoDa. People are great supporters of this neighborhood and all of the art forms that come with it. #thesavageway simply established a fun, relatable portal for neighbors and visitors to enjoy.
If you are interested in finding out more about #thesavageway’s services and boosting your social media, email [email protected]
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte campus saw a lot of “firsts” in 2013; the inaugural collegiate football season opened, the first no-waste stadium in the south was created at Jerry Richardson Stadium, and eco-friendly advertising, Clean Graffiti, was utilized on campus.
Clean Graffiti is an eco-friendly and green form of advertising. These positive messages are placed on dirty sidewalks and a clean message remains. Local marketing company #thesavageway is the creative force behind this innovative branding initiative.
OrthoCarolina, the Official Team Physicians of the Charlotte 49ers, strategically placed Clean Graffiti messages around campus sidewalks and neighborhood streets touting the Inaugural Football Season.
UNCC 49ers and OrthoCarolina Clean Graffiti raise awareness of the partnership.
OrthoCarolina was able to find an innovative way to show their support for this historic moment in campus history. As the Official Team Physicians they worked closely with the 49er Athletic Department. By executing Clean Graffiti on walking and running paths around campus, OrthoCarolina was able to bring awareness not only to the football season but to their brand.
As one of the nation’s leading orthopedic practices with offices across the Carolinas, OrthoCarolina is your destination for comprehensive orthopedic care. Leveraging our physicians’ expertise in the areas of foot and ankle, hand, hip and knee, shoulder and elbow, spine, sports medicine and pediatrics; and providing services that include physical therapy, MRI and post-surgical support; we can offer you a continuum of care unmatched in the region.
OrthoCarolina. You. Improved. Visit us at www.orthocarolina.com.